Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Serve warm

Science, like attitude, changes daily. What was once a pillar of requirement for an athlete is now deemed bunk, and what was once scoffed at as voodoo is now lauded as the next best thing for a workout. It's so hard to keep up.

At one time, athletes were encouraged--nay, mandated--to stretch their muscles pre workout in order to warm up. Countless videos were sold that showed you how to bend and shake your muscles prior to your workout. Everyone did it.

Now new science comes along and says, fergetaboutit. Studies have shown that pre workout stretching does not improve performance or lessen injuries one whit, and if done incorrectly, can even foster injuries.

At the same time, science repeats that warming up, per se, is still a good idea.

Well, that sure makes life easy.

Actually, stretching in and of itself isn't bad for you. It's stretching cold muscles (those without blood flowing into them), or doing the stretch until it hurts (remember the old Jane Fonda "feel the burn?" tapes? Burn those babies. She was wrong, apparently, about lots of things). I have chronic bursitis in my left hip, and stretching exercises are the only things that have made it basically go quiet.

And no question about the fact you need to WARM UP before you WORK OUT. I have been guilty of failing to do so at times--you get in a hurry, you gotta get home to cook dinner and the clock is ticking or you gotta get to work, and you skip the warm up and go straight to the meat of the workout and hope your body just catches up. Bad. Way bad. I know it and you know it.

So today's science suggests an easy warm up before asking your muscles to swing at the fences, and then a cool down, and then maybe some stretching (gently--when the body is warmed up) or yoga or pilates to strengthen and flex those hard working muscles.

This type of routine is so critical for the older, slower, less fit athlete because we cannot force our bodies anymore into unnatural activities without paying a price for it later.

So how do I warm up? Before a run, I usually walk briskly for about five minutes, swinging my arms and breathing deeply. The first quarter mile of ANY run, no matter the distance or type, is creakingly slow. Before a race, I may do some stand in place jumping jacks and torso swings--great at a crowded start line, by the way. Post run or brick, I will walk for five minutes to cool down, and then gently stretch my hamstrings, quads, back, and hips with several stretching routines.

Before a bike, I will often jog in place for about a minute (fun to do in bike shoes), swing my arms, touch my toes, or do some jumping jacks. The first mile of a bike again, is always easy pace and one gear higher (easier) than I would normally use on that terrain. Last mile of a bike is again a high spin, and then once off I gently stretch legs and especially torso and back.

Before a swim, I will swing my arms to get blood moving in them, and do some toe touches. The first 100 yards is always easy--I may backstroke or breaststroke to wake up different muscles, or freestyle easy and slow without kicking until my body says it's awake and ready. Before a triathlon, I always, always get in the water and swim around for a while about 5 minutes pre race time. I also try to jog a little and if time permits, bike a bit as well. I used to worry I would use up my energy on a warm up. That's silly talk.

About five mornings a week, I do some yoga (there are great tapes out there with easy yoga poses) and crunches, maybe some planks and weights for strength. And every morning right before I get out of the shower, I stretch my hip flexors because they are warm and happy from all the hot water.

I've paid the price for working out and racing without warming up and it was a high one. If you do nothing else in your workout program that makes sense, warm up regularly. You'll save a lot of dough by not visiting your favorite othorpedic doctor.

If you aren't sure what stretching will work best for you, check out www.active.com or www.beginnertriathle.com and look up some articles.

Last night was a HOT run at White Rock lake at 7 p.m. and 96 degrees. Back to the heat acclimation with me! After a pre run half granola bar (70 calories) and a five minute warm up walk, I headed into the 25 mph SW winds determined to go further than before on a hot run without running my HR into the ozone. Last hot run I did was 15 minutes before the monitor went nuts; last night I went for 20 minutes before it scolded me and I stopped to walk briefy and drink water from my water belt. Then back to running again to 37 minute mark where the monitor said, rest now, and I took a 2 minute walk break for another drink, then ran out the last five minutes with sweat pouring into my eyes and fogging my glasses. 11:41 mile for 45 minutes in the heat--3.85 miles--not winning any races with that, but I'm learning to run in the heat without falling over. A great goal for anyone to have. I love Texas summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment