Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Monday, June 14, 2010

Heartbreak Hill

Well, we rode the 39 mile Collin Classic bike rally this past weekend. I love the CC, it's very crowded but a lot of fun; great rest stops and a wonderful fajita lunch afterwards. If you are thinking about racing some day in a tri, bike rally or run, think about volunteering for one first. Hand out water or pretzels and cheer on the competitors. It will get your blood moving to do it yourself, and EVERYONE loves the volunteers!

My computer said the ride was only 37 miles, but I was glad to give back that extra 2 miles. It was hot and very, very windy--about 30 to 35 mph--which makes the hills extra hard when you are riding into a headwind. My spouse joined me and also my secretary Elizabeth--we sent spouse on ahead as he is a bit faster, and E and I rode together (she was nice enough to ride slower for me than her usual pace). We sang songs a lot of the ride as loud as we could bellow--including a rendition of Petula Clark's classic "Downtown" as we rode the McKinney downtown bricks that caused the spectators to clap and cheer.

About 12 miles into the ride we hit the Big Hill (there are lots of hills on the CC, but this one I dub the Big Hill), which forced me to gear into my smaller chain and plow up it into a 30 mph headwind at a wobbly 7.5 mph. Many others were forced to walk this hill, but it wasn't all that bad except for the wind in your face. The hill ended in the first break stop (thank goodness)but after we had a short break and started again, I found I had lost a lot of energy and couldn't gear up even on the flats as fast as I wanted to. In retrospect, I think I didn't hydrate properly the first 12 miles of the ride--it was hot and humid and although I did drink, I didn't drink much. I am just not a heavy fluid guzzler, and this time it bit me. After I wobbled through the next 10 miles at about a 12 mph pace, I downed 3 small cups of Gatorade and some salty pretzels at the 23 mile rest stop, and found my energy return and managed to go back to a 14-17 mph average, even with the wind and hills, on the last 14 miles.

So I learned some lessons: one, you gotta drink a LOT when it's that hot and humid, and remember that strong wind makes you work even harder and dehydrate you even more, and two, I am not ready for a 56 mile bike followed by a 13.1 mile run quite yet. Wind is common here in Texas, and I need to be ready for it at all times.

My requested birthday gift from patient spouse is a bar mounted bottle so I don't have to sit up and fumble for my bottle in order to drink, which will help me hydrate better because once I get in a rhythm on the areobars, I am relunctant to sit up and sip.

E and I finished the last 5 miles of the ride with "On the Road Again" accompanied by several nearby cyclists' applause. If you can't be good, be entertaining.

Sunday was an easy 1700 yard swim, I posted some good times during the first half but fell off the second half as my energy level just wasn't where I wanted it to be on Sunday. But...I remember when 1700 was a HARD workout!

Monday I have a meeting so it's an off day. And why did I GAIN a whole pound after this weekend of working out? Surely couldn't be what I ATE. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment