Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Thursday, June 24, 2010

How to go faster

The one rule I have read again and again (reading about working out is so much fun; there is minimal sweat and your heart rate stays nice and even) about how to go faster, and here is the rule:

You go faster.

No, really, I'm serious here. It sounds like nonsense, but in order to get faster, you have to go faster.

I realize that it's truly not quite that simple. However, a lot of long distance training working out is done at the areobic level--where you are in a zone 1 or zone 2 effort, not over your threshold heart rate, and cruising along. Generally not so fast (with me, not fast at ALL). You are supposed to be able to go a long time (and query just what is a long time? that depends on your fitness and training level and how hot, windy, and hilly it is, and how tired you are, so there is no right answer) at that pace. You are using what they call your "slow twitch" muscles and neurons--believe me, I am full of those, although I think mine are labeled "crawling-twitch" muscles. Go fast, and you will burn up and out quickly--you are then using your "fast twitch" muscules and neurons. Sprinters have lots of those. I have maybe one.

But in order to ever increase your base speed at anything, you simply have to learn to go fast at times. Not all times, and not most times, but sometimes. Interval or fartlek training is designed to help your body increase its speed at longer and longer distances before you crash and burn. This also helps improve the speed and distance of your aerobic pace (allegedly. Remember if you are older and less fit, like me, things happen so slowly in this regard that an ice age or two can go by before you see results).

Last night I was due for an easy (aerobic) pace bike ride for 1.30 hours. Unfortunately, I didn't get out of work very early (work does interfere with training, dadgummit) so I was pushing daylight. I had two options: go for a one hour easy ride or a one hour fast ride, pushing speed.

I chose the latter because I was feeling a bit cocky, 98 degree heat and all. This was not an interval or fartlek ride; I simply rode at a fast race-like pace for 18 miles, which is often called a tempo or race pace workout. I pushed myself to pass people (yay! I even passed a few on road bikes wearing fancy bike gear--including 2 guys!), powered up the small hills, got down low on the bars for most of the ride, and forced my legs to pedal at a high cadence. When I felt myself slowing down I would switch to an easier gear to allow my legs to keep spinning at the same pace. I was also very careful to hydrate a LOT; I was working hard and it was very, very hot and windy.

I did the 18 miles in 1 hour 8 minutes (twice around White Rock lake) for a 15.9 average pace, which is very fast for me right now. It's not fast in the world of biking, but I was pleased to see I could keep that pace up and not be terribly tired at the end. I was happy to be done, and very eager for my post ride granola bar, but I could have continued on without falling over completely. My goal is to sustain a 16-17 mile pace for about 27 miles (3 times 'round the lake) by Sept of this year. There are no major hills on this ride, so then I will have to take that goal to a hillier course and work on sustaining that energy on harder terrain.

I think my 5 times a week crunches, yoga and planks are helping with my biking strength.

Now, I was feeling quite smug about this ride until I was buying gas for the car on the way home. I looked down and noticed I had managed to put on my bike shorts backwards. A charming look, I can assure you. But maybe that was my secret to speed!

Happy faster times.....

1 comment:

  1. my high school coach used to say- the only way to swim fast was to swim fast... he was a pretty smart guy! :-)

    ReplyDelete