Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Do You Really Want to Hurt Me

I seem to be on a 70-80's song kick, but can't apologize for that. Those songs are in my head. Yes, even Culture Club. Yick.

Injuries and pain are common bedfellows for older athletes (actually, for all athletes, but us older ones whine more about it). Although exercising is without any doubt GOOD for you, there is no question that repetitive motion and pounding will take its toll on you, if you aren't careful out there. The most common causes of injury in us older folk are overtraining (pushing too hard, or not resting enough) and fall down and go boom situations (usually on the bike, but I have also fallen quite easily on a run).

Last night I was so pleased with my run. It was a 3.92 mile run done in 45 minutes, which breaks an 11:30 min mile, which has been so hard for me to do while obeying my heart monitor. This tells me that my coach has been right all along (amazing!), and my aerobic level is starting to become more efficient. (when I first started with the heart monitor, I was running about a 13 min mile in order to keep the pace within the aerobic ranges--now, I could actually physically run an 8:00 mile, but my heart rate was where the space station is at when I did). It was around 79 degrees and sprinkling (I LOVE running in the rain, I feel like a kid again) although very humid. Sleeveless running top and shorts and iPod set to "Danger Zone" to start.

About mile 3 my right hamstring started talking to me. This hamstring began our converation about 3 weeks before my Oly tri in May. I have never had a hamstring issue before so I sorta ignored the thing and during the 6.2 mile run of the tri it really sang Ave Maria to me. Since the race, I have been very cautious with it, trying to run slower and not as far, but it's been hanging around whispering a bit to me, although some days it's quiet, like yesterday.

Now, the hamstring followed a nasty grade 2 shoulder separation in early April from a stupid bike fall (are there any smart bike falls?) AND a chronic bursitis issue that flared up 18 months ago on my left hip, which I have pretty much gotten under control with stretching, but it also occasionally reminds me that it's still around waiting quietly. I am paying for my orthopedic doctor's kids' college tuitions (he's a runner, so he is always sympathetic. I recommend finding an ortho who is an athlete).

I'm frustrated because I don't want to stop or slow my running down to heal this hamstring. I might be able to just run short and flat for a while (hills really make it talk louder). At this same time, I also know in my head and heart that an injury that is not getting better is getting worse. And the older (and less flexible) you are, the worse it will get if you don't nip it in the bud. Training smart is way better than training stupid.

I've asked my coach for advice and am going to start stretching a bit (when my muscles are warm) and icing. I don't have any more running this week anyway. If it doesn't improve by next week, I'm going on a long running vacation, which will allow me to improve my bike so much that I will be ready for the Tour de France.

Except for the hamstring, it was a good run for me. I ate a granola bar (140 calories) about 45 minutes before the 7 p.m. run, and made sure to eat a balanced meal (I had canteloupe, green beans and pork) within the "magic hour" afterwards. Research shows if you eat a good protein/carb snack or meal within an hour of a workout you will recover quicker and build more muscle. I don't have any issue with eating at any time, so this works for me. Even if you just chomp a banana, you will do yourself some good.

Take care of yourself, both the inner and outer athelte!

No comments:

Post a Comment