Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's not the heat, it's the hot that will kill ya

I don't know who thinks running in the heat is fun. Okay, my spouse does. But I'm not convinced he isn't from Mars, that planet close to the sun.

You sweat, you get overheated, you get tireder faster, and oh yeah, you smell terrific when you're done.

Other than that, it's simply a great time.

I mustered out a 45 min run at 7 p.m. last night when the thermometer was chanting 96 degrees and a 98 degree heat index--so really, not that much humidity. So it WAS the heat after all.

I ran slow--I saw a few snails passing me--only 3.7 miles for my 45 minutes (did I mention that there was a brisk SW wind? And that most of my run was uphill into that wind? Or so it seemed?). I ran steady, but took two walk breaks of 2 minutes each at 15 and 30 minutes, because my heart monitor, after the first five minutes of this fun, was ringing the bell that I was pushing myself too hard out there. Your heart rate wiil increase as you work harder (duh) and the heat will really make your body work harder.

However, I have to admit this: two months ago I would never have even considered running in 96 degree weather without a hungry lion chasing me. After 3 weeks of running in the blast furnace that is Texss springtime, it really is getting easier. I had scoffed at the acclimation idea, but let's face it, it works. I am never going to really enjoy running in the heat, but I'm getting better at it.

Let's see if I still agree with this when the heat hits triple digets--which it is supposed to do on Saturday.

Here's some hints for running in the heat:

Hydrate. This does not mean downing a bottle of water ten minutes before your run, which you will carry sloshing around with you. This means hydrating adequately all day long before your run, or if your run is in the morning, the night before. Avoid caffiene and alcohol which will dehydrate you.

Fuel. Eat a small snack 30-90 minutes before the run--something with protein and carbs like a half peanut butter sandwhich or a banana and yogurt. Don't overeat in the heat.

Go slow. Slower than you think you should. Even slower than that. This is not the time to worry about your split times or to try and do a PR run. Save those runs for cooler days.

Rest if you need to. If you use a heart monitor, let it be your guide. If not, don't go over your perceived exertion level (3 max on a hot day) and walk for a while if you need to. Get your miles or minutes in total, but take it easy.

Run smart. Keep hot day runs for early morning and late evening. Avoid high noon through 6 p.m. if possible.

Dress cool. Wear light colored clothing--black doesn't reflect heat--that is loose and comfortable. Ditch the cotton--it won't breathe and will retain sweat.

Now a word to those of you with families and spouses. It's critical that you have the unrelenting support of these guys to do a triathlon training program, whether it's a short sprint or a full Ironman (TM) (did you know Iromman (TM) is a trademarked name? I am making sure the Ironman (TM) police don't come get me. Did I mention I was a lawyer in real life?). My spouse is the greatest at support. Not only does he put up with the constant hassle of sweaty clothes in the bathroom, a wife whose hair matches Don King's, and also one chronically late for dinner, he comes with me to the events and acts as my support team--when he is not competing, because he does the sprint tris with me. He spent a long day at my Oly tri lugging all my stuff, giving me encouragement, feeding me before and after, and sitting around for 4 hours while I came and went in blurs of sweaty transitions. You can't beat the feeling of your spouse at the finish line waving you on (and taking photos). Hopefully, you can recruit yours to participate with you, or at least come as support crew. Remember to thank them for their sacrifices, which are legion. They secretly think you are nuts but are proud of you for your accomplishments. Thanks, Jim. You are my inspiration.

Today I am going to swim. I think. I am taking the day off work to go to a commercial shoot with my dog, Hawkeye, who has a bit part in the commerical. I have no idea how he will do. He's done some still shoots but you just don't know! You see, I do have lots of other things in my life. Commercial shoots are a long day. If I can't make the swim tonight, I will have to swim early in the morning.

Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment