Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cool Swim Stuff

Part of the joy of being any kind of athlete (even the slow kind) is the thrill you get from buying and using "stuff." I realize that for a triathlon, all you really need is a bike, a bike helmet, a swimsuit, and some running shoes, but hey, let's face it: the stuff is what it's all about. You may end up last in a race, but you will look so cool doing it.

Swimming stuff is the neatest of all stuff because it is designed to get wet and still work. The unfortunate news about that is most swimming stuff doesn't transfer well to running/biking stuff, and therefore you will need different stuff for those things.

Here's some of my stuff that I have found works well (and sometimes not so well) for me with regard to swimming:

1. The Place. Gotta have a place to swim. Your (or your neighbor's) backyard pool just won't cut it. I know; I tried buying one of those tie you up and swim in place geegaws and that was a mistake; not only did it not work but it plays devil with your swimming form as it keeps dragging your rear down. Unless you are wealthy enough to own (or smart enough to know someone else who owns and lets you use) an Endless Pool, you have to find a big pool to practice (and about those Endless Pools...to me, I would go nuts having to swim in the same place for hours at a time). I was using the community pool for a while, pretty reasonable fee and it's big, but I finally gave up on being jumped on by all the community kids and joined LA Fitness, where I only have to work around the twice a week swimercise classes. Otherwise I get a lane pretty much to myself, or I only have to share with one other person. Local colleges usually have pools available to the public for a small fee (UT Dallas and SMU both charge $5 to use their pools). Go visit any place you are considering during the times you think you will be swimming and check out the crowd, conditions, and atmosphere. Also, if you are going to swim triathlons, better be prepared to go for an open water swim now and then. Go to a local lake with others (do not try this alone) and test out the lake waters and swim. It's different out there. Be prepared for the shock of not being able to see where you are going (you have to learn to lift your head every so often to sight) and for waves, current, and local flora and fauna to share the water with you.

2. The Clothes. Swimsuits are easy. Good swimsuits for training are not so easy. You want something durable, fast drying, and that doesn't rub you the wrong way. I recommend leaving the bikini and the baggy shorts (if you are a guy, either one of those apply to you) for the beach, and buying a training-specific swimsuit. It doesn't have to be a teeny Speedo, guys, just something that doesn't cause drag in the water. I have a girl's one piece black Speedo that is probably one size too small, but I swear I am not sending it back a third time for a larger size. Anything that is loose and fluttery will cause slow down and drag.

3. The Headgear. I wear a silicone swim cap. Every time I swim. Do I have to? Of course not; only during open water swim races are you usually required to wear a cap of a certain color, so they can recognize you when you are drowning. However, I like wearing a cap all the time for three reasons: (a) it helps a bit to protect my hair from the assualt of chlorine and God Knows What Else Is In That Pool, (b) it helps protect my fellow swimmers from the sight of my hair drifting along under their eyes (nothing gags me more than seeing hair floating beneath my nose in a pool), and (c) it helps to make me more aerodynamic in the water. If it's cold water, of course, it also helps keep my head warm.

4. The Eyewear. Goggles are not required, but I really can't imagine swimming anywhere without them. Chlorine and lake water are not friendly to your eyes. In fact, there are ugly bacteria out there waiting to find your eyes as their nice new home. In addition, you can't see well without them. Get good ones; leaky ones are worthless. Spend some money. Don't buy them at cheap places. I like having tinted ones if you are doing open water swims; if it's sunny, they make a difference. But clear ones are needed for indoor use and cloudy days.

5. The Wetsuit. Here's where the money comes into play. If you are going to do open water swims, you will probably need a wetsuit. If the water is below 78 degrees, wetsuits are permitted by USAT. If it's between 78 and 84 degrees, they are still permitted, but you aren't eligible for any awards. Over 84 degrees, no one can wear one because you will basically cook your patootie out there. Triathlon wetsuits are very specific in type, and your old scuba or surfing suit will not do, and will even slow you down. You can get full body wetsuits, or shorties, or sleeveless. I bought a used full body wetsuit from a local bike shop (after trying it on) for a good price and it's stood up well so far. Wetsuits give you warmth, protection, and BOUYANCY, so you will absolutely swim faster and more efficiently in one. You can always go without, but you will get passed by us slower swimmers who wore one. If your only triathlons are going to be done in a pool, there is no need for this toy. They take a while to learn to put on (use lots of Bodyglide--NOT vaseline as it breaks down the suit--and maybe even some Pam spray) and take off, but you can get the hang of it. Plus, you will look very intimidating if you wear yours to answer the door when your daughter's date comes to pick her up (adding goggles and cap is extra, for those dates you really are not sure about).

Note: wetsuits are meant to be snug fitting. Do not buy one too large. In the water, they will loosen up a wee bit, but you need to be prepared to practice swimming in one so you will get used to the idea of swimming in a girdle.

6. The Tunes. Apple nevers leaves you, even in the water. Of course they make a waterproof case and headphones for your iPod. Well, actually, Apple doesn't (yet) but www.h2audio.com does. This is not a cheap purchase, but when you have to swim 3,000 to 4,000 yards during a workout, it's a lifesaver. You will have to buy both the case and the headphones but before you do, be sure your iPod is one of the models that fits inside the case, or you will end up buying a new iPod to fit that expensive case. The music from the waterproof headphones is a bit tinny, but it's not that bad. Plus you can now wear your iPod while lounging in the pool or soaking in the hot tub. Hint: don't bother to attach the thing to the arm band they give you. That gets in the way of your stroke. Grab your race belt and fasten it on the back and put the belt around your waist. Other than the occasional flying headphone wire that snags your arm, this works best.

7. The Watch. No athlete feels complete without a super duper watch that has lap times, split times, good times and bad times all contained in one (waterproof) gadget. The problem starts to become that your wrist won't be big enough for everything you will want to strap onto it. Since heart rate monitors still don't work well in water (despite some of their assertions), your heart rate monitor watch won't do for you in the water, and your Garmin GPS isn't happy with water either. So you will want a waterproof watch that times you. I bought a $45 Timex Ironman for women (I know, that sounds wrong) which works great. I wear it in the pool to time laps, and I wear it in the race to time the whole event (assuming I remember to turn it on at the start, which I have only done two of the three times I used it). You can spend more money on this kind of thing, but I am not sure why you would want to.

8. The Sometimes I Use Them But Mostly Not Stuff. The kickboard and the fins and the hand paddles: yeah, once in a blue moon I'll get a drill where I have to use some of these. But not very often. Terry Laughlin, writer of the great books and tapes of Total Immersion Swimming, calls these crack for swimmers. Your best swimming tools are already attached to your body. Using other things helps you figure out correct form at times, but otherwise, they are not really useful. I'd just borrow the ones at the pool and skip the expense.

That's it. Those are my Swimming Toys. Tonight is a fairly short swim--2100 yards--and I'll use my watch, cap, goggles, swimsuit and H2 audio to get me through it.

Happy splashing!

No comments:

Post a Comment