Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Friday, December 10, 2010

More core

As part of this journey into the outer limits of physical activity that I have determined will be fun and prodcutive, I've realized that all the biking, swimming, and running I'm doing does work, but they all work better when I'm stronger at my core. Certainly biking, swimming and running make me stronger in lots of ways (including increasing the strength of my curse word vocabulary), much more so than if I was just dedicated to doing one of those sports, but they still leave a lot of areas untouched.

Core strength and flexibility--to be more precise, being strong around your gut, back, hips, etc.--leads to stronger swimming and biking and easier running. I can personally attest that running long distances, a lot, will pound you into central inflexibity--you may end up with the world's strongest legs, but you won't be able to bend me shape me too well.

Strength begats strength. Therefore, I am trying at least once a week (twice if I can find time) to do exercises that help solidify my core and flexibility.

I am not very excited about going to the gym and doing the weights/balls/elastic bands thing. First, it's a drive to the gym for a short workout, and second, there never seems to be any real room on the mats. So I'm trying to do these exercises at home, which is easier for me (I can do them in the morning before I hop in the shower) and a lot cheaper. I have some small hand weights (10 pounds each, and some that are 3 pounds each) and an exercise ball, and a mat.

My chosen exercises vary from session to session, but they include side and front planks (if done correctly, with a fairly straight back, these will kill you very quickly), leg lifts, lunging squats, push ups (okay, I will fall on my sword and admit that I have NEVER been able to do a guy push up. I'm determined to get to that stage, but right now I'm on 15 girly push ups. I hate that, but upper arm strength has never been my big thing), simple weight lifts for biceps and triceps, and several yoga poses for flex: the tree (I started out on the Wii Fit with this one before the Wii Fit went to Broken Wii Heaven, and I would get mad at the cartoon instructor who would tut tut me when I wobbled and fell over on this pose--and I am proud to announce that now I don't fall over any more), the sun salute and the warrior poses. I do these all on my mat on my bedroom floor and am done in 20-45 minutes. I've also asked for a chin up bar for Christmas (what every girl wants I am certain). I have no illusions that I can lift myself up to a chin up bar, but I have a stool to use, and my upper body strength really needs some help here.

Since I've started the core strength workouts (which I do either on my rest days, or in the mornings when my workout that day is at night, or vice versa), I've noticed a couple of things: one, I can go a lot longer down on my aerobars on my bike without my neck or shoulders or back nagging at me, my posture seems better when I run (I am just more relaxed), and my arms don't get as tired on my long swims.

I am four months away from my 70.3 this week. I am still nervous and unsure, but every week I feel a wee bit stronger (with some limited exceptions, okay, we all have feet dipped in liquid lead days). I have a long way to go still especially with the bike, but I am confident I will improve and dance my way across that finish line!

1 comment:

  1. Yuu are an inspiration of core strength galore! Your feet will go where your mind has already been.

    ReplyDelete