Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Bonk

I looked up the word "bonk" in ye old dictionary. It says that the word is slang for "hit, strike, collide." My trusty scrabble dictionary sez it means "to hit someone on the head."

When an athlete uses the word bonk, it generally means a version of Game Over. It's when the body says Enough, I'm Done, No More, We're Outta Here. I suppose in a way that's someone like being hit over the head, or colliding with that proverbial wall. All of us have experienced a bonk, usually on a long run or bike or swim, but sometimes on a short one, sometimes resulting in a Walk of Shame back to the car or a pullover to the side of the road (followed by the infamous Flop On the Back on the Ground).

Although a bonk does not always mean the race or workout is over, it usually means your planned time or distance is over. A true bonk--which is different from the waves of just being tired or feeling gassed that come and go--takes time to recover from.

Bonks are preventable. And we know it, and yet ignore the warnings that could lead to one.

Here are the Five Ways to Bonk:

Overextend without base training. Chances are you aren't going to be able to do a 56 mile bike or a 26 mile run without some training beforehand. Sometimes young and fit persons with a background in one area can "fake it" through another area with minimal training--i.e. a strong runner might be able to struggle through a long bike or swim after only doing some minimal distance bike and swims beforehand, but he or she is definitely going to suffer--but most people can't go the distance without paying the admission price of serious training beforehand. I do so enjoy watching young men (I'm sure women do this too, but I always seem to be seeing the men) dash out on their first 5K with no training beforehand and find out that I am able to chug on pass them around mile 2 when they are wheezing, walking and staggering. Train your distance. Train your time. It takes a long, long time and effort to work your way up to long distances, so be prepared to pay the price.

Lack of nutrition. When I first started out running, I really had no clue about nutrition. I often went out for a 4 mile run on an empty stomach (yes, Jeff Galloway sez you can but I am going to disagree with him). And lots of times I would end up walking around mile 3, feeling out of gas and weary. Your body needs fuel in order to work hard. You don't have to eat a Denny's Grand Slam before a 5K, but a simple glass of chocolate milk or an energy bar, or better, a bagel or some oatmeal, will preload you with fast burning carbs that will become important about halfway through. Slower runners like me are at the most need for pre race or workout nutrition as we simply can't breeze through 5 miles in 30 minutes before our stored fuel starts to run low. For workouts laster longer than an hour, it's important to take in some carbs (and maybe protein, I tend to believe a small amount of protein with the carbs works best) BEFORE you start to hit a depletion wall, which is around 45 minutes or so into the workout, and then every so often thereafter, depending on the amount you ingest and how far you are going. If you wait until you feel tired or gassed before you ingest nutrition, it's too late. You are going to be behind the bonk ball the rest of the workout or race.

Lack of hydration. I know there has been a lot written lately about over-hydrating and I am cognizant that taking in too much liquid can be dangerous, or at least sloshly in the gut. But I suspect 90 percent of athletes are under hydrated rather than over hydrated. For any workout lasting over 45 minutes, you should take in some fluids, and you will be smart to take in some the day before and after as well. Even on cold days when you aren't feeling thirsty, you can dehydrate just as quickly especially in altitude and wind (both of which dry your tissues out quickly). Water or sports drink, you pick, but keep your hydration level constant.

Lack of rest. I am all over the expression that training plus rest equals results. Your body MUST have time to recover from the stress of working out. Training causes muscles and joints to stress and even tear slightly, and in order for them to increase strength, proper rest must occur for healing and soundness. This means a full rest day at least once a week and a good night's sleep as often as possible (the latter being the thing I skip the most of, what with work and family and working out, and believe me, lack of good sleep will lead to a big bonk for me sooner or later).

Lack of planning. Here is where I bonk the most. I do stupid things like drink too much wine and eat too much the night before a long run and then get minimal sleep and then also run in the hottest part of the day....HELLO. You think at my age I'd plan better. Or I'll oversleep and try to race through a swim workout that calls for an easy pace. You've got to plan your routine as best you can (life throwing stuff at you at the worst times notwithstanding) and work out the smartest that you can. Don't overdress on warm days, don't underdress on cold days, don't forget your water bottle on your bike ride, don't forget your swim cap....all of these things that I have done that have caused a mini bonk or at least a bad day.

There is no reason to ever bonk again. I don't plan on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment