Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Learning to Share

It's with a mix of sadness, horror and deja vu that I've read about the young jogger killed on the Katy Trail after being hit by a biker. Lots of fingers were pointed in all directions--the biker was riding fast, the jogger had on headphones and turned right into the biker's path with no warning, etc. etc. etc., and she happened to fall and hit her head just the wrong way.

But it's not a finger pointing thing. We have a young woman killed in her prime and a biker who will never ever forget what he or she was involved in. There for the grace of God go one of us. No matter who was at fault, or even if no one was at fault, the issue remains that it's so very difficult to share the limited pathways and trails with bikers, joggers, baby strollers, dog walkers, skaters and meandering toddlers. It's just tough and we all know it.

I got home Monday night from 10 days in Loveland and Greeley Colorado. Both towns had bike paths clearly designated along major streets and highways. This IS Colorado, land of nature, but I know there are similar designated paths in other states across the country. Unfortunately, Texas has very few, if any. Bikers must either choose to ride on heavily populated trails and pathways, dodging pedestrians that have equal right to enjoy the trails, or must ride on the streets and take the risk of being killed that way--a female triathlete was killed not two months ago on her bike when she accidentally veered a little bit onto the highway and a car struck her. In our state, there is just no safe place to be a bike rider.

Most of us chose to ride the roadways and take the risk of being car-pummuled, although I will admit that I ride White Rock Lake trial and some of the shared paths on White Rock Lake. It's always a terrifying experience either way for me. On the paths, walkers and hikers and moms trying to herd 3 small children are always wandering around the path and as a biker, you have to guess where they are going to avoid collison. One day I nearly hit a runner who stopped suddenly in front of me and decided to walk across my path without looking behind her. We could have both been killed. I screamed like a banshee and she jumped out of my way at the last second; there was no way I could stop and I was only riding about 14 mph, not nearly as fast as the elite 19-25 mph bikers who zoom the lake.

All we can do is practice safety and defensive riding/running at all times. I expect a small child or a dog to jump into my path; I expect runners to stop and turn to walk in front of me; I expect a skater to fall down next to my front tire. Every time I pass anyone or anything, I slow down and go on high alert. Yes, it wreaks havoc with my time and heart rate and cadence and interval push, but ya know, we all gotta be careful out there. I save my fast pace for the weekends when I feel less timid about hitting the streets rather than during rush hour traffic when I know each driver is eating, texting, drinking and changing the radio while they are approaching me. I never pass another biker or runner or walker without looking over my shoulder first to see what is behind me. I always shout "on your left" when I pass someone. I never, ever wear headphones on the bike.

When I am running on a shared path, I stay far, far to the right unless it's an actual road with cars, then I swith to the far, far left and run facing the traffic. I do not veer into the road or even go around slower people UNTIL I have checked over my shoulder (like when driving in a car) to see what's coming--because something probably will be coming and it's easier for me to wait than a fast biker to have to stop. I wear headphones, but at a very very low volume.

I don't think the solution is to impose speed limits on runners/bikers/skaters. How do you enforce those? I think the solution is for all of us to be aware of each other and to ride/run defensively. ALWAYS assume the other person is going to do something sudden and scary and be prepared to react. Do not assume a parent is going to be able to corral a dashing toddler; that's not any more fair than their assumption that you can stop quickly on your 25 mph bike dash.

I don't ride my bike on the Katy Trail because it's too crowded. I'm not wild about the other shared paths in Dallas either for the same reason. But sometimes we have no choice but to deal with it. We athletes do not have a mandate that the pathways are ours alone. Everyone has the right to enjoy the areas set forth for walking and jogging and biking and just meandering around counting the clouds. Do not get into a huff or snit about having to go slow around the pokes. Get over yourself and be careful, fair and patient.

And be safe. Please, please be safe.

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment