Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Blowin' in the Wind

Notwithstanding Chicago's claim to being the Windy City (I have read on the Internet, so it must be true, that the windiest city in the US is actually Dodge City, Kansas, where no one really wants to be anyway), the wind she do blow a lot here in Texas.

And I hate it when it does.

Despite the obvious need for wind for sailing, wind farms, confusing cross pollination and other nice things like cooling you off on a hot day, wind freaks me out more when I am biking or running than hills, heat, distance, or badly cooked brussel sprouts. Nothing makes me frown like watching my 50 story building sway with the breeze (I know they are built to do that. I know planes are built to go up in the air. Neither thought comforts me).

Sunday the Patient Spouse and I did a 2 hour bike ride through northeast suburbia, which include being sandblasted by a 30 mph headwind on the out portion. At times, on the flat, I was pedaling like a mad thing and my speedometer showed 11 mph for my intense efforts. Yes, the way home was easier, but by that time I was windburned, wind-tossed, and simply (pardon the obvious pun) winded.

Last night I ran 7 miles at White Rock trail in preparation for ramping up to a half marathon this December. It was windy (a north wind this time, the opposite of the bike ride, in Texas the wind is predominatly south unless it's not) and although I choose the trail rather than the lake because I hoped the trees would block some of the blast, they apparently simply created nice wind tunnels for me to barrel into.

Now, I always try to run with the wind in my face for the first part of the run so I'm not as breathless during the second half when I'm tired anyway. This is a great theory but doesn't always work, especially if I start my run from my front door, because there is simply no running south from my front door unless I want to end up in the ER trying to cross a busy road with no lights. So this only works when there is a north wind at my place, which isn't too often. If I drive to run trails, though, I try to note the wind direction and pick my starting place accordingly. Yes, I know that in a real race or event I won't have that luxury. I ran the White Rock half marathon 2 years ago and I swear the entire race was into the wind; I am certain that is not possible based on stuff I learend in my physics class in high school, but I am convinced the tetonic plates shifted that day and that is exactly what happened.

But I am still not going to voluntarily start a run with the wind at my back if I can avoid it.

When running into the wind, especially a stout wind, I try to lower my head and profile slightly (as if I were running uphill, because that is what it fees like) and slow my pace down. I remind myself I will more than likely make up for lost time on the downwind stretch. I take shorter steps, and I hydrate more often, because the wind dries my mouth out fast.

When I bike into a stiff breeze, I am down on the aerobars as much as I dare, although in a really, really high crosswind, especially going down a steep hill with speed, I get nervous about the bike being yanked right out from under me, which has happened to me once. I keep the chainring in one easier gear than I think I should because otherwise, I use up a lot of excess energy just pedaling too hard into the windshear. I tell myself, again, that it will be just so much fun turning around and having that hurricane at my back (this doesn't work, of course, if my first leg was downwind. Then I just tell myself this will all be over soon). Again, I find I need to hydrate slightly more often, especially on a hot day. The combo of wind and heat can take you out quickly if you aren't careful.

I try to conserve my energy for the second half of the workout (a negative split, which is always a good idea) because (a) if I am turning downwind, I am going to be able to spank it and I want the gas to do so, or (b) if I am turning into the wind, I'm going to need that energy to grit my way though the blast.

Last night when I finally turned out of the wind, I was tired from the beating I had been taking, but the ease in running downwind made up for it after a while.

Here's hoping for some calmer days ahead....

No comments:

Post a Comment