Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Monday, August 30, 2010

One week 'til race day

And I'm not really ready.

Ok, I'm ready physically. I am running well, I'm sorta acclimated to the heat, my swim times are decreasing (yay!) and it's not an A race for me. I want to do well, by being better than last year if the heat and conditions allow me, but I don't need to win the darned thing or blow out my knee or mind trying to do something silly like that.

But I'm not quite ready on the bike.

I have a new, wonderful bike that I adore, but I've only been on it for about 30 miles total since I bought it. So I'm not really used to it yet, and the gears are different and the shifting is different and the areobars are different. It's a terrific bike but I need to get warm and fuzzy with it. And before this race, I am just not going to have the time to do that (unless I quit working, which would not help me pay for that marvy new bike toy). I found out this weekend on a fairly short ride over a part of the course that I needed to downshift to my smaller chain on the Killer Hills which I didn't need to do on my old Trek because I had a granny gear ring installed. So I have to get comfy with the chain shifting from big to small and then back to big, and at the right times. I messed up on Saturday going up the first Killer Hill and didn't get my rings shifted in time (clicked the shifter incorrectly) and nearly toppled myself over trying to muscle up that 5.5% grade in a high gear.

Still, even with all that stuff to deal with in my head I know I can ride those hills because I've done them so many times before (they are 3 miles from my house!). I don't relish the thought of doing them FOUR times (it's a two loop course) but hey, I can own those hills, or at least rent them for a little while.

There's also a changed run course for this year, and the last 3/4 mile is pretty much uphill. But as the Patient Spouse tells me, that's a GOOD thing. We'll leave all the pokes behind!

Mentally preparing for an event is tough when you expect a tough course (as this one can be, especially the bike route), but it's important that you remember that your training is solid and will carry you through. At one week before race day, the hard part is over, and all you have to do is hit the GO button on your body. And remind yourself that all of those miles of swimming, running and biking are going to get you across the finish line easily and without strain. The physical part is already done. All that remains is mentally reminding yourself that you are in great position to do your best on a race.

A shout out to Kristin Codish of Texas Triple Threat who did her first IM this weekend in Louisville in 14:26. Kristin does my VO2 testing and her spouse Todd does my bike fittings. Great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment