Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Have a good ride

Last night I rode my bike 20 miles in 100 degree heat (with only 15 mph winds, thank goodness), blinking the sweat outta my eyes and trying to sip enough Gatorade to keep me from falling over kerplunk. I didn't get started until about 6:45 which took me until just about sunset to finish up 90 minutes. It wasn't a bad ride, although with the heat I was expecting misery. I even managed to glance at the sunset and the lapping waters of the lake a few times.

When I cruised into the parking lot post ride, I noticed a guy (in an OU shirt, but I'll forgive him that--maybe he found it in a dumpster) putting his bike away as well. I said, "boy, it's hot, isn't it?" as I rolled toward my vehicle. He smiled at me and said, "yeah. Did you have a good ride?"

I stopped and thought before I answered. He must have thought I was either deaf or rude, because I really DID think before I answered. I pondered and said, "yes. Actually, I did. Thanks for asking!"

I really had never thought about it before he asked, but it actually WAS a good ride. Nothing hurt too badly (my bike fittings are working, I have one more tonight), although it was hot, it wasn't terribly windy, although the paths were extremely crowded, I only had one HEY BUD ARE YOU LOOKING? moment, and my pace wasn't terribly slow and I wasn't terribly wasted. The sunset was awesome, the sailboats had been out on the lake in full regalia, and it was a nice (hot) summer evening.

So many--no, most--of my rides, runs and swims are NOT "good rides" because I am so focused on my time/heart rate/distance/ability/tiredness that it's more of a chore than an enjoyment. That. Is. Wrong. There is no doubt that hard workouts involve pushing yourself and some misery, okay. But seriously, not all of them should. If you ain't having fun, what's the point here?

And last night was really a nice ride. I didn't check the bike computer very much on my speed (it was supposed to be an easy ride so I decided not to care), I did check my heart rate at times to be sure I wasn't going over my prescribed limit, and I was amazed at how FAST the ride seemed to go. Last Friday, I did the exact same route, and it seemed to take freaking forever. I maintained the exact same speed as last Friday, but the effort was less and the enjoyment so much more.

So I've decided that once a month, at least one bike, one run and one swim is going to be one that when I stop, I will be able to say, "this was a good ride." It may mean tossing all the electronics out the window, it may mean stopping halfway to eat a snack and watch the geese fly south overhead, or it may mean singing out loud. Who knows.

Yeah, thanks dude. It was a good ride.

1 comment:

  1. I went on a ride with a group last night, same group I went with last week and almost keeled over at the end of it... particular cute guy happened to invite me... Fun being part of the no-drop ride at 17mph and getting DROPPED!

    ReplyDelete