Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Monday, February 7, 2011

Time Is On My Side

I am one of those that think the Rolling Stones were the greatest rock band of all time (yes, eclipsing the Beatles and the Who), if you could stand to watch Mick Jagger, that is. To this day I have problems watching him prance around the stage in a grown up version of hot pants, but if I close my eyes (which I did back in 75, the year they came to the Texas Cotton Bowl and it was so hot everyone fainted anyway), the music they make is rockin'. Put on Jumpin' Jack Flash and try NOT to dance.

I am officially (well, on Wednesday) two months away from my 70.3. This means the countdown has begun. There will be some suffering between now and then, no doubt about it, as I need to ramp up me and my workouts to a higher, stronger, faster, level (and surely the Olympic creed isn't trademarked?). I'm still very slow on the bike and I swear some days that with every ride I get slower. I was doing 15 mph average last summer and suddenly it's taking all I got to hit 14 mph average. OK, I am riding more hills and longer rides, but the brain doesn't process that kind of information. It just says YOU ARE FREAKING SLOW.

My running is definitely slower; I finished my half marathon on the 29th in 2:31 gun time, my slowest half ever, and I didn't feel like I was running all that slow (my fastest half was 2:21, but trust me, ten minutes is a big difference in a race). It was a good race, great weather and hardly any wind--my kind of conditions--but I just couldn't get the feet to go any faster than they did. I was pleased mostly with my nutrition but I think I didn't hydrate enough. I carried my own bottle and sipped from it and it was a warmer day than expected and I should have partaken of the water/gatorade offered at the many aid stations as well (although they never seemed to be at a location where I was taking a walk break, and I can get kinda obsessed about not taking walk breaks until the clock says TAKE ONE). Still, although slower, my running form has improved and my distance ability has improved--I had plenty left in my tank after the 13.1 miles, although my legs didn't necessarily agree with that idea.

My swimming is much better; I am so much more confident in the water and swimming a wee bit faster than I used to swim all the time now--instead of 3 minutes to do 100 yards I can now swim a 2:45 100 at an easy pace, and swim an even faster 100 at a moderately fast pace. I am not worried about the swim time so much as I am about (a) inhaling half of the Gulf of Mexico, and then disgorging it later at inappropriate times and locations and (b) high waves, smackdowns with other swimmers, and freaking out mentally in the water.

So. The bottom line--ain't it always the bottom line?--is in the next 2 months I have to work very hard to improve my bike and run times and distances (especially the bike) along with brick work and other fun and interesting throw up opportunities. Yesterday after all the snow and ice from last week (I never missed a workout, although the runs were all done on the Dreadmill), I actually got outside on the bike for a couple of hours. There was a little ice left on shady streets where I had to gear down and glide with my heart up where my helmet is at, and the north wind was blowing a pretty cruel rip that tore me up on the north Los Rios hills, but it was so good to be outside again for a change that I actually didn't mind all that. I was hoping for a bit faster ride than 14.1 mph average for 30 plus miles, but with the ice, snow, lights, stop signs and north wind in my face, it just didn't happen. I know in my heart if you take out all the stopping and slowing I have to do on the streets of northeast nowhere that I'm actually posting better times, but of course the only time I think of looking at my computer is when I'm battling a slight uphill into the howling wind and seeing 12.1 mph and therefirescreaming to myself THIS IS AWFULLY SLOW. I rarely glance at it when the wind is at my back and I'm humming along on the flats or downhill because hey, who cares then? :-)

I worked very hard my last 3-4 workouts to be sure I'm putting 100 percent of me into them--there can be no slacking the next 60 days. I realize an easy ride or easy run means EASY--you can't just go all out all the time--but when it's not easy, I can't back off. The start line is coming soon. I will be ready for it.

And a final shout out to my Packer fan friends--the Pack is back!

No comments:

Post a Comment