Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Monday, January 17, 2011

Spinning Wheel

Another song that I think is not exactly the best and brightest of the rock n roll generation (Blood Sweat & Tears--who get my vote as one of the best band names of all time--did a much better job with And When I Die--IMO of course). However, every time I go to spin class the song lives in my head until the spin instructor manages to overplay it with some hip hop or something even worse like rap (hello, Bob? Hip Hop bites).

I was proud to admit I had never taken a spin class in my life until recently. Nothing could convince me that sitting on an indoor bike for an hour could be deemed fun or even remotely useful. Once I started realizing that I had to bike as best I could, and as much as I could (biking being the weakest of all 3 tri sports for me, although it's hard for me to imagine another human being swimming much slower than my swim times), I bought a Computrainer and I've used it religously when the weather got bad or the day got dark.

The problem with the trainer is that I only go as hard as I think I'm going (weird words, but bear with me here--kind of like the words to Spinning Wheel). I know I need to improve speed on my bike without a doubt. So my patient coach Claire suggested I go to spin class. I pouted, whined, and moaned, but off to spin class I went, to meet Barbarian (some days known as Brutal) Bob and his hip hop(truthfully, he does play some modern rock and once I heard a Beatles song, so he's not totally past redemption).

Friends, let me tell you: spin class kicked my rear. From here to New York and back. I THOUGHT I was in good shape. Until Barbarian Bob showed me the error of my ways.

The first time I did spin class I kept telling myself that surely, I could not die from it, but I wasn't sure. Like a typical first time idiot, I dialed up my tension dial to what Bob said it should be, not realizing that not EVERYONE (in fact--probably not ANYONE) had it dialed up to what I consider a true 8 when he hollered for 8. I have since learned to dial back a bit, at least during the first 3-4 classes while I got my sea (spin) legs, now I am increasing the tension a bit each time and finding more power in my legs.

Spin class doesn't of course just work you for your bike; it's an all over workout and that is why it's so popular. It does, however, ensure that you are going to spin those wheels hard and fast during certain intervals, which is sometimes just impossible to do outside because of traffic lights, people, wet pavement, what have you. I've noticed a dramatic increase in my threshold speed and endurance since I've been going to spin class, and I intend to keep going even though some weeks I have to go to the 5:45 a.m. class (errgh).

You'll want to take hydration with you and a sweat towel because you WILL sweat. Also, most spin class bikes use a clip in pedal on one side and a basket on t'other so you can clip in with most bike shoes, which is helpful.

Be sure you look at different instructors and classes before you settle on one you like. Barbarian Bob is a bike rider himself so he knows of which he speaks, but I've tried a class with a lady that never rode the bike herself (Bob rides with us the whole way, so you can track your movements by watching him) and hey, if you are gonna talk the talk IMO you gotta walk the walk. Also make sure that the class is safe and they don't have you doing weird stuff like standing up and pedaling hard in the stirrups with your hands over your head or something. Spin class will generally consists of seated work--intervals and some areobic pedaling--and standing work, similar to hill climbing position--and some squatted work, just to work parts of you that don't otherwise get work.

Barbarian Bob's music is 90 percent okay and he's a cheerful kind of guy, while he's demanding you pour your guts onto the spin bike, so pick someone you don't mind listening to at dark thirty in the morning.

So I'm a convert to spin class for now. And by the way, just because you are a long time biker, don't think you won't work your fanny off in it. I watched a guy the other day dressed up in his fancy bike jersey and shorts with an awesome looking physique who had to quit 3/4 of the way through. PS you don't have to wear your biking clothes to spin class, and the seats are pretty padded, so I wear my tri shorts and a wicking T shirt.

Hope you will try a spin class out. But if you run into Barbarian Bob, be prepared: he's gonna work you to tears, and play at least one hip hop song in the process.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Terry,
    I love spin class & yes it can kick your butt!
    I love the variety in the format, teaching style and music too!
    :-) Sara

    ReplyDelete