Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Friday, September 17, 2010

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

Well, the earth still turns on its axis (despite the Cowboys' loss to the Redskins) so that means the days are getting shorter, even here in steamy Texas where the temps are still in the mid 90's and the ACs are still in full blast (September is such a teaser month for us).

This also means daylight savings time, a boon for us worker bee worker outters, is getting ready to come to an end. And thus will end weekday training outside in the light, except for some early morning quickies (short runs mostly).

Of course, most swimming is done inside, so that's not going to be affected other than I don't like looking up at the skylights in the gym pool and seeing black...but that's my own SAD issue.

Spin class, treadmills, indoor tracks, indoor bikes, computrainers---gag. But at least I promise myself I won't be wheezing in the 104 heat index.

Since I simply hate working out inside, sometimes I choose to run in the dark. It's not the safest thing you can choose to do (it falls somewhere between eating raw eggs and accidentally using the "reply to all" button on a sensitive e mail). If you have a choice, run in the light. But if you don't, and you follow some careful tips and plans, you may find running in the dark to be an amazing, uplifting experience.

First of all, if you have sidewalks and they are in reasonable shape, use them. You must check out these sidewalks in advance to ensure there are no potholes, cracks, or step ups or downs that you aren't ready for. Even with a full checkout, people sometimes park strange things on sidewalks--toys, cars, hoses, Grandma--so you have to be diligent on your run and be ready for a quick stop or sideways leap out of the way. But at least most moving vehicles won't be sharing them with you (there are exceptions. I realize that. I myself in my younger and wilder days have been known to put a couple of wheels on the sidewalk).

And if you have streetlights nearby, of course, run there. Nothing like a lighted path to help you with unseen obstacles and safety. If you have a lighted track at a local high school or college, even better, although IMO track workouts are no more fun than a treadmill.

I live where there are no sidewalks or streetlights (yes, I have a flush toilet, thanksverymuch). No schools nearby allow strangers on their tracks. The local nature preserve is too dark and scary for me to run there alone (I would do it with someone else though). So I hit the local streets in the dark, and I go out there well prepared to be seen, and to see.

First, I have a reflective vest. They are PIAs to wear, as they do flop a bit, but they really do make you A1 visible to any light that shines on you. Second, I wear a flashing light on a hat--this is an easy thing, as I just fasten my bike light on my hat and turn it on. Third, I carry a small flashlight. Fourth, I wear white shorts and a white hat. I look like one of the Village People at a garage sale.

Then I go on the defensive. Every car IMO is filled with a 21 year old who is texting while drinking Diet Coke and trying to change the radio station. I never, ever presume they see me even though I am flashing and reflecting like a Vegas sign. I run facing the traffic (left side of the road) and when a car is coming, I immediately track into the ditch area (carefully) and keep a sharp eye out to make sure they don't do the same. I'm fortunate to live in a less populated neighborhood so the cars are few and far between.

I also worry, as a female, a bit about safety, even in my 'hood. Therefore my night runs are usually done before 9 p.m. (don't ask me why I think that is safer, other than my mother always told me nothing good happens after 10 p.m.). If I feel uncomfortable, I can carry pepper spray. And I always, always carry my cell phone in a lightweight fuel belt on night runs (or any run over 4 miles). I realize throwing my cell phone at a would be rapist is not the best idea I've ever had, but I also know that I can probably outsprint half the male population, and if I get a head start I can outlast about 60 percent of them at a distance race. You had better be ready to catch me first, that is all I'm sayin'.

The flashlight I carry is primarily to light my way and shine on things I don't want to trip over, like branches, bottles, car parts and snakes.

With rare expection, my night runs are always special. Some have been magical--with a full moon rising over the trees or blazing pinprick stars lighting my path. You can't see your heart rate monitor or your GPS so you have to simply run. Sometimes, that is the best kind of training you can do.

Be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment